Friday, November 20, 2015

Simple but not Easy

Last summer during the holy week, I had the chance to visit my mother's hometown in Pangasinan. It was my first time to explore the place and to visit my relatives.  I would say that my vacation was quite memorable not just because of the travel and adventure but also due to the discovery and revelation that came with it. One thing I've found surprising was the townspeople somewhat primitive way of living. I was surprised because despite of advancement in technology and modernizarion they still opted for a basic and old fashioned lifestyle.
In the few days that I stayed there, I was able to observed and to experienced firsthand the way they get water from a deep well and cook food through wood fire. It was such a fascinating experience to pull a bucket full of water from a very deep well and make fire out of wood in order to supply us with water and cooked food for the day.



This made me realized that life in the province is simple but not easy. Getting water from a well and cooking food over wood fire can be simply done even without any technological complexities but it takes a lot of effort and time to do so. So much like discipleship. The call of God for discipleship is simple but not easy. To disciple people, one has to become a disciple first. To be a disciple, one has to follow Jesus (Matthew 4:19).  Simple principle but not at all easy. I think most of you would agree that to be like Jesus is a very tough act to follow if not impossible. However, God is in the business of calling and changing people to be Christlike. I believe that the more we grow in our relationship with God, the more we can hear His voice calling us. I know deep in my heart that I have a specific calling from Him - that is to honor God and make disciple. I do believe that He has a calling for you too! Thus, as we respond, we need to understand that every calling such as discipleship is a simple process yet takes time and effort. It even has a cost as the bible says (Luke 14:26-27). We need to remind ourselves that when things become difficult God's grace is sufficient for us. When things may seem impossible, the God of impossibility will come through for us. Lord, I pray that as we respond to Your call, may You increase our faith and depend on you all the more in order for us to fulfill the purpose that You have for us. All for Your glory and honor, in Jesus mighty name, Amen!